After taking a few years away from the spotlight, Solange comes back with a boom, a bang, and a pow.
Hitting the consumers with 51 minutes of pure musical magic and harmonious pleasantries we were introduced to ‘A Seat at the Table.” A 21 piece tracklist personally structured by Solange herself, we are introduced to her recent mood, views, feelings and more via:
- Interlude: The Glory is in You
- Cranes in the Sky
- Interlude: Dad was Mad
- Mad feat. Lil Wayne
- Don’t You Wait
- Interlude: Tina Taught Me
- Don’t touch my Hair feat. Sampha
- Interlude: This Moment
- Where Do We Go
- Interlude: For Us By Us
- F. U. B. U. feat. The Dream and BJ The Chicago Kid
- Borderline (An Ode to Self Care)
- Interlude: I got so much magic, you can have it feat. Kelly Rowland and Nia Andrews
- Interlude: No Limits
- Don’t Wish Me Well
- Interlude: Pedestals
- Scales feat. Kelela
- Closing: The Chosen Ones
The album opens with the soft melodic sounds of Rise. As always Solange captivates you with her smooth harmonies, perfect inflections and story based lyrics. As you continue on the project, you are taken on a journey. One of self recognition, survivor power, life lessons, and most of all purpose.
Towards the end of the project, Solange brings Master P. of No Limit into the story with his own story. Allowing P to express his story and reasonings, Solange adds a soundtrack to the story by pick up musically where the story begins to fade.
Teaching the power in No Limit you find out the meaning of Drive, Struggle and the will to Persevere. The combination of Master P. and Solange provides a mystical journey into power and control combined with self love and drive. The epic blend is such a powerful force that you wonder to yourself if Solange did this on purpose given the current standings of black lives in America.
Though this project is not heavy with too many features, Solange has just enough with the perfect people. Needless to say, she knows who she works well with.
- Weary: Smooth. Easy Listening. Powerful message.
- Mad: 90’s feel. Aaliyah vibe. Expressatory track. Relatable for the stories of the team. Great harmonies. Not too heavy while carrying a heavy message.
- Don’t Touch My Hair: Epic translation of the Power in a Hair Du.
- Interlude: No Limit: Inspiring. Powerful. Truth.
This is a TrueSlamBook certified project. It gets an overall score of 10/10. Solange has yet again outdone herself. More importantly, she has provided the black race with hope, inspiration, and reason at a time when the Nation is divided and the message is being carried that “Black Lives Matter!”